What’s the Green Deal with Sustainable Purchasing?
Like most retailers, our supply chain includes providers of products and services from all over the globe. Working with them to maximize environmental and social improvements is part of our commitment to do things right.
London Drugs has developed a Sustainable Purchasing Policy and Vendor Questionnaire that will help align our purchasing practices with our goals of environmental, social and economic sustainability.
Key areas of focus include:
- Working with suppliers to provide innovative, healthy and environmentally sustainable products to our customers and develop product stewardship programs to reduce waste
- Identifying and setting specifications for goods and services that achieve environmental benefits
- Using the core labour conventions of the International Labour Organization (ILO), Canadian laws and other applicable environmental and ethical standards to set reasonable minimum standards for suppliers with respect to fair labour practices and human rights
- Rewarding leadership and innovation among suppliers who contribute to healthy, fair and safe workplaces and practice environmental stewardship
- Demonstrating leadership in sustainable purchasing best practices and serving as a stimulus for advancing sustainable purchasing in the marketplace
Full implementation of this policy will be phased in over time, and we will seek to continually improve it to achieve maximum benefits. Are these standards important to you? Let us know what you think.
Read the London Drugs Sustainable Purchasing Policy (pdf)
Read the London Drugs Vendor Sustainability Questionnaire (pdf)