From your junk drawer to Zero Waste, our Green Deal sustainability story has it all!
Once upon a time…
There was a lonely flip phone. One of millions of discarded recyclables looking for a better place to call home. Fortunately, London Drugs was launching a program to make recycling as easy as a trip to the store. The year was 2008 Here’s our story.
The London Drugs philosophy is to support the communities we serve. Years before 2008, our stores had offered recycling, our photo labs treated their water and our operations reduced their impacts. But it was time to take our sustainability journey further.
What’sthe Green Deal? began as a question, because we always want to seek better sustainability answers.
Our 4 Pillar Strategy:
1. WASTE REDUCTION – Over 93% Of all store waste is diverted from landfill by our employees.
2. ENERGY & OPERATIONS – Better warehouse design & lighting, biodiesel in our trucks and more.
3. UPSTREAM BUYING – Our Responsible Purchasing Policy helps show vendors exactly what we expect when it comes to their supply chain standards.
4. EDUCATION & COMMUNICATION – Our outreach events, sponsorships, Twitter feed @WTGreenDeal and our greendeal.ca website & blog help share greener living tips with the whole community.
What can customers recycle at London Drugs?
- Small Appliances
- Packaging from our products including Styrofoam
- Plastic Bags
- Insurance Plastic Folders
- Alkaline Batteries
- Cell Phones
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Compact Fluorescent Bulbs & Fluorescent Light Tubes (up to 48”)
- Disposable Cameras
- Ink jet Cartridges
- Laser Cartridges
- Metal Film Canisters
WHERE does our recycling go?
- Global Electric Electronic Processing (GEEP)
- FOAM ONLY
- Cascades Recovery
- Light Recycle
- Various Recycling Partners
Our recycling partners are certified and reviewed to ensure no unprocessed material is sent to substandard offshore facilities
London Drugs will take back all of your packaging from our products. Including the Styrofoam!
Don’t dump drugs! Our pharmacists take back all unused or expired medications, so they don’t pollute lands and waters.
Thanks to our customers and employees, our average yearly recycling totals over 11 MILLION lbs !
For those who like to shop a little greener… We identify Green Deal products with environmental benefits at the shelf and online.
The Zero Waste QUESTION – Can we create NEW products from the ‘waste’ material streams that come from our recycling?
We already have one closed-loop product on our shelves. Cascades recycled paper products are made from cardboard and paper partially sourced from our waste recycling streams. And we’re still looking for even more ways to get to Zero Waste.
LEARN MORE Visit our website for blogs, videos articles, and products that help you live a little greener. greendeal.ca
The story continues…