What makes a product ‘green’?
London Drugs carries hundreds of products with environmental advantages, from recycled content to certified organic production, and more.
Look for them and find out how you could be shopping a little greener (and saving some green!) without having to go to specialty stores.
Some of the benefits we consider:
- Third-party certification
- Reduced Packaging
- Reduced Energy Use
- Recyclable Packaging or content
- Products that are degradable or compostable
- Organic Production
- Recycled content in products or packaging
- Reduced synthetic chemicals / toxins
- Local production
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Logical environmental advantages (such as rechargeable batteries)
- Self-declared environmental claims
- Corporate responsibility
The best recommendation a product can have is third-party certification, such as BC Certified Organic, Transfair or Energy Star. Self-declared claims are also acceptable if the product’s package and/or website offer reasonable transparency and support for the claim.
Corporate behaviour plays a role, too. Does the manufacturer contribute to environmental or social causes? Are they measuring and working towards reducing their carbon footprint?
Ultimately, ‘green’ is in the eye of the beholder – there is no such thing as a ‘zero-footprint’ product. The ultimate green shopping decision is up to you.