London Drugs stores in BC accept Flexible Plastic Packaging as part of RecycleBC’s new take back program. More and more packaging of this type is in our shopping cart and cupboards. Now you can keep it out of landfills.
Here’s what you need to know when you drop by your local BC London Drugs store with your Flexible Plastic Packaging recycling:
1. What is ‘Flexible Plastic Packaging’?
This program covers a LOT of bag and package types. The basic accepted types are:
- Plastic Bags
- Outer Bags and Overwrap
- Crinkly Wrappers and Bags
- Zipper-Lock and Stand-Up Pouches
- Flexible Packaging with Plastic Seal
- Woven Plastic Bags
- Protective and Squishy Cushion Packaging
- Empty Bags / Remove Non-Plastic Items
See a more complete list below or go to RecycleBC for more info.
2. What is NOT accepted in this program?
- NO Plastic-lined paper (or paper-lined plastic!)
- NO biodegradable or oxo plastics
- NO PVC or vinyl
- NO 6-pack rings
- NO Plastic strapping
3. Why so picky about what’s accepted?
To ensure efficient recycling, it really helps to have as pure a stream as possible of the right materials. Non-accepted items can make it difficult to identify recyclable plastics and may even clog up machinery.
4. What happens to the material collected?
The Recycle BC plastics end market is now making a recycled plastic pellet from the Other Flexible Plastic Packaging collected. This is a step up the Pollution Prevention Hierarchy above engineered fuel. This pellet is a commodity made of a combination of higher and lower quality plastics that turn it into a usable feedstock for new product manufacturing.
So gather up those Other Flexible Plastics and bring them down to your Local BC London Drugs store. It’s one more step we can take to reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill.
The Great Other Flexible Plastic Packaging Take-Back List (BC Only)
Here’s a more detailed list of Other Flexible Plastic Examples.
- Plastic shopping bags
- Plastic bags for bread, produce, dry cleaning, newspapers/flyers
- Bags for water softener, salt, garden products, etc.
- Plastic overwrap on diapers, paper towel, feminine hygiene products, flats of canned beverages
- Plastic overwrap on mattresses and electronics
- Plastic food storage, sandwich, freezer, and vacuum seal bags
- Plastic shrink wrap
- Flexible plastic gift bags and boxes
- Transparent single-use recycling bags
- Reusable plastic curbside recycling bags (e.g., yellow bags for Paper)
- Reusable plastic-only carry-out bags (provided with purchase or purchased)
- Plastic drop sheet or covering
- Squishy cushion packaging (polyethylene foam)
- Plastic bubble wrap
- Zipper lock pouches for frozen foods (e.g., berries, vegetables, prawns)
- Zipper lock and tear-open pouches for cannabis product
- Stand-up pouches for dried fruit and nuts, quinoa, grated cheese, etc.
- Potato chip bags
- Crinkly plastic bags for candy, cereal
- Plastic wrappers for candy, cheese slices, granola bars, etc.
- Crinkly plastic packaging for dry pasta, pre-packaged deli meats, etc.
- Flexible plastic packaging with plastic seal (e.g., deli and cheese packaging)
- Plastic net bags for fruit, onions, avocados, etc.
- Woven plastic bags for rice
- Non-food protective packaging (e.g., all-plastic shipping envelopes, air packets, etc.